Sunday, June 5, 2011

Our First Sunday

 Well, we did not intend to post today but after our experiences we feel we must share.  As I mentioned last night in my post we were going to the Molweni Branch.  We found that it not an actual branch but attached as a dependent unit of the Kwadebeka Ward.  It is there because the people in that area have no transportation and it is hard for them to get to church otherwise.  We rely heavily on the GPS to get us places--that is great where there is an street address--in the case of Molweni there was none, so with the GPS and a map we headed out.  It took us the right way but there are other ways as we found on the way back.  We went down a very steep and narrow road that had people, goats, a few cars, and even a Zebu bull on it.  People were heading to church as they were dressed very nicely and seemed so bright and cheery and friendly.  Nearly all smiled and waved as we passed.  Some of the women carried five-gallon buckets heading to a stream that was in the bottom of the canyon or kloof as it is called in Afrikaans.  The thought of them having to carry them full back uphill was heartbreaking.  Just when we got close to where we began earnestly looking for the Kwa Dinabakubo School, where the unit meets, someone was honking at us from behind.  I thought that it was because we were going so slow but as we pulled over to let them pass, it was the unit leader President Zondi.  He recognized the car and had us follow him to the school-pictured above.  If I ever feel inclined because our chapel is too hot or too cold or there is some other discomfort, I hope I will remember this little school that serves as a chapel for the people of the Molweni Township.  Perhaps even sadder is although it looks abandoned it is still a functioning school.  Children go to school there.  The South African government has recently passed a law prohibiting churches from meeting in schools so the Church has purchased property nearby and will likely be moving in some modular units for the meetinghouse.  The amazing thing is that, although the members live in little very poor houses some without running water, they come to church clean and in their very best.  They are so humble and, because it was fast Sunday, we were privileged to hear their testimonies.  Some spoke English at first then finished in Zulu.  It was quite touching.  But the most touching was before the meeting the little girls, without any prompting, started singing There is Sunshine in My Soul Today  as prelude because there was no organ and the missionaries forgot to bring the CD for the little tape player that they bring.  It was so sweet and they really did mean that there was sunshine in their hearts.  We met Nosipho and got her signature so her loan can proceed and after Sacrament meeting we found that the teacher for primary (there is only one for all the children) was absent so Gaye and I got to teach--mostly Gaye.  She will take over from here. 
When I found out I was teaching, I really wasn't too worried since I never seem to have trouble finding things to say.  We taught about testimonies.  The girls ranged in ages 4 to 13.  No young women leader either.  "Lungile" is 13(in the pink blouse) and was so sweet.  They LOVE to sing.  We gave them time to bear their testimonies, after much encouragement, and they all did it.  I helped the 4 year old.  They all live in very poor conditions but were so clean and happy to be there.  It was fast Sun. so no treats, but I had breath mints and they loved them.  We did alot of singing.  Amanda, in the coat, even knew "Once There Was a Snowman" even none of them have ever seen snow.  We did "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes" and they got a kick out of watching me trying to touch my toes. Two hours is a long time to keep that many different ages interested.  One time, I said"do you need a break"? and they giggled and said they needed to go to the bathroom but they said no to "toliet" because they are very stinky.  Then they just ran outside and came back in about 2 min.  Lots of bushes, I guess.

I wanted a picture of lined up so I could get their names correct. left to right:  Aphiwe, Bengeka, Ayanda,Zamile,Sbahle,Pamela,Amanda, and Lungile.  Aphiwe (a-pee-wee) isn't baptized yet so I told her if she got baptized, I would try to come. I don't even know where they have baptisms?? Notice the writing on the blackboard, in Zulu.


Kids like to be silly where ever they live.  So fun, can't wait to go back.  We see that what we offer both spiritually and in the way of loans to help these young people out of these situations is one of their only hopes.  The Perpetual Education Fund is truly an inspired program.  We hope that we can learn quickly and do our part.       Hope you all know to click on the pictures to make them larger.  Til next post........

4 comments:

  1. This was more inspiring than any sermon or talk I could have heard in church. A real eye opener and food for thought. We are very comfortable here in our USA and still have so many unimportant things to complain about. Doesn't sound like anyone is complaining about the poor conditions there. Just grateful for what they have, for the Gospel and a place to worship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom and Dad,
    I had an entire comment posted and without thinking clicked on a picture and lost it! AHHHH. So here we go again!
    I just sat down to reply to your wonderful posts. We had dinner guests and late church but I've been thinking about your post all evening and couldn't wait to comment. WOW! I first started reading in my gmail but then thought to check the blog and see if there were any pictures that didn't come through. Sure enough there was mom with the most beautiful bright and lovely children! I IMMEDIATELY broke down crying. Mostly because it made it REAL to me that you are actually on a mission! And because I am just so thrilled and grateful that you get to be with some of God's children in such a place as Africa! I mean..seriously! AFRICA! WOW. I was also so touched that these sweet people get to be with my wonderful parents who I love so much. Oh it was a special moment for me and I was so thankful you posted pictures today.
    What a great experience to have on your first Sunday. What a different perspective people have there and how much we take for granted huh? The organ, even if played badly for instance. Although it is a blessing to hear the human voice singing united, simply, and in praise. Cool! The girls seem so sweet. You can see the spirit in their eyes. I'm sure you will both be wearing many many different hats during this mission. Fun to teach kids I bet. I'm glad you made it to church driving :) I wonder if you'll have trouble when you get home trying to drive the old way again ha ha.
    We are all well. Good day at church. Somber as yet another member of our ward has passed away. This sweet man got VERY sick with a rare lung cancer and has been fighting it for months but took a quick and sudden turn for the worse last week and passed away Wednesday. Our ward has been through so much. One sweet sister today said it best though, "We have lost much but we have also gained much." I truly felt united in love today as we fasted as a ward. It was the first time I've been able to fast in over a year and I felt very humbled and closer to the spirit than I have in months. Boy I needed it. There are so many people going through so much more than me and it felt such gratitude for my blessings today. And I couldn't stop thinking about you guys. I love you and look forward to more updates.
    Karla ps tonight after dinner the kids were playing outside and getting pretty rowdy. I asked Owen what he could do that didn't involve breaking the rules and he said, "eat dessert." Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elder and Sister Gunderson,

    Your first few posts have been a thrill to read. There is nothing like building the kingdom in developing countries. When I think about the great history of the African continent and, more importantly in your case, the country of South Africa, I am so excited to know that the Gospel is going forth in that land and that humble missionaries like the two of you are going to help returned missionaries and others create a career path. That career path will act as a springboard for these wonderful South Africans to build the kingdom in their home land. It is an inspiring thought!

    Thanks so much for your wonderful example and your willingness to serve.


    One question. I have a letter I want to send hard copy. Do I wirte the following on the envelope?

    2 Bamboo Lane, Flat 1309, Pinetown 3610, KwaZulu-Natal

    Your fellow servant,

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this post. It took me back to my life in Kenya. I often miss the sights and smells of Kenya. It's great to be among humble and happy people. Is the PEF doing well? Is it self sustaining yet or does it need members donations?
    I'm jealous of your mission, I hope I get this type of mission in another 15 years.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete